英語筆記

從頭來過

2009/07/13

職人英語通〉從頭來過 Back to square one!




〈 職人英語通〉從頭來過 Back to square one!
文/Dr.J.J. 圖/老唐

很多事情即便再熟悉不過,但仍可能因為一個環節出了差錯,而就只好全盤從頭來過。這時候,英文就會用”back to square one(回到第一格)”來表示。

據說,這句俚語最早是援用自廣播節目中的足球賽播報用語。因為收音機裡無法清楚表達「球」運行的位置,所以這些節目就會事先把場地的大致區塊用數字來做標示,這樣當主持人講到球在第幾格的時候,聽眾就會有個大概的位置概念。也因此,如果回到第一格了,就代表球又回到起始點,也就是整件事情要全盤重來的意思了。

May:It’s such a pity! We’re almost there!

May:真是太可惜了!我們幾乎拿到這個案子了!

Robert:Tell me about it. I thought after numerous negotiations with so many different options provided, the client was finally happy and the deal was closed.

Robert:可不是嗎。我還以為經過那麼多次的協商,我們又給了那麼多不同的選擇,客戶終於滿意然後把生意給我們了。

May:Didn’t we all think so? We even had champagne to celebrate at the office last week.

May:大家不都這麼想嗎?我們上週還在辦公室喝香檳慶祝呢。

Robert:Who would have guessed that the project is now canceled?

Robert:誰會料到這個案子現在就這樣被取消了?

May:Right! But at least we’re invited for another project pitch!

May:是啊!但至少我們已被邀請參加另一個案子的競標了。

Robert:Even there’s always hope, we’re now back to square one. We have to start with all the preparation, creative designs, getting quotations from different countries…etc.

Robert:雖然說總是有希望,不過我們現在又得從頭來過了。我們得重新準備,創意設計,還要不同國家給我們新的報價等等。

May:Yes, but we’ve done it once not long ago, I’m sure it won’t take us so much time anymore.

May:是沒錯,不過我們不久前才做過一次,我相信這次不會再花我們那麼多時間了。

Robert:So again, fingers crossed!

Robert:嗯,那麼就拜託神明保佑囉。

◎資料來源:http://share.youthwant.com.tw/sh.php?do=D&id=61018057